When dealing with emotional reactions, it can be helpful to talk to someone you feel comfortable with.
If you are not sure what kind of support you need, or to get more information about health supports call:
24-hour crisis line – 1-866-925-4419
or visit Health Canada Coping with Emotional Reactions
Mental health and wellness in First Nations and Inuit communities
Indian Residential School Survivors Society
First Nations Health Authority (FNHA)
Talk4Healing or call 1.855.554.4325
Survivors crisis line is open 24/7 – 1.800.721.0066
National Indian Residential School Crisis Line – 1.866.925.4419
If you’re a settler, here are some places where you can make a donation to support Residential School Survivors and their families:
If you’re a settler, here are some educational resources on residential schools:
- Settlers Take Action resources compiled by the On Canada Project
- Read about the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada and its 94 Calls to Action.
- Yellowhead Institute – Calls to Action Accountability: A 2020 Status Update on Reconciliation
- Find out whose traditional territory you live on. Visit the Native Land website.
- Sign up for Indigenous Canada, a free Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) from the Faculty of Native Studies at the University of Alberta that explores Indigenous histories and contemporary issues in Canada.